About Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan

Founded on November 7, 1938, the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan has grown from small beginnings, into an all India intellectual, cultural and educational movement. True to its goal of revitalizing the society with Indian ethos and value systems encompassing Dharma or the Moral Law in its three fold forms of Truth, Love and Beauty, Bhavan is ceaselessly striving to carry forward India's ageless message of Faith, Self-Discipline and Dedication through spread of education with Indian values.

Many faceted personality, Dr. K.M. Munshi, the founder of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, was a practical idealist besides being a Lawyer, an Author, a Constitution-maker, a Statesman and a Social Reformer. Above all, he was one who persistently strove for cultural and spiritual regeneration.

Bhavan has in its fold schools, colleges and other education institutions numbering to about 375 besides partnering government and other public/private institutions. Through these various schools and colleges - kindergarten to Post Graduate and Research levels - that are spread across the nation, Bhavan imparts education in streams ranging from Sanskrit, Indology, Indian Culture, Indian Classical Music, Dance, Drama, Yoga, Classical Languages and Ancient Scriptures to Arts, Science, Commerce, Engineering, Modern Management, Mass Communication, Information Technology and Foreign Languages such as French, Spanish, Russian, German and Japanese.

Thus Bhavan's programmes cover "all aspects of life- from cradle to the grave and beyond... it fills a growing vacuum in modern life" as Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru observed when he first visited the Bhavan in 1950. The main purpose of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan is to provide a modern bridge to span the past, the present and the future, built on a strong foundation of the fundamental values of life.
The Bhavan has its centres in London, New York, Sydney, Lisbon, Mexico city and Durban.

 

Bhavan’s Mysore Kendra,

 

Bhavan’s Mysore Kendra started in 1989 with Sri. Srikanthadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar as its Chairman. At the time of starting, the Mysore Kendra was located in a room in Mahajana School. Kendra was conducting evening classes of HB College in Mahajana High School. With the efforts and interests of Sri N. Ramanuja and Dr. Mathoor Krishnamurthy, My sore Kendra received a new orientation.

 

 

Accordingly, the Kendra Committee consisting of eminent personalities in Mysore, Mandya and Chamarajanagar districts was constituted with Dr. A.V. Narasimha Murthy Professor of Ancient History and Archeology, University of Mysore and a Harvard Fullbright Scholar as Chairman of the Kendra Committee.

For construction of Kendra, Government of Karnataka allotted land in prime location on Hunsur Road. For the construction of the building, Bhavan raised funds through donors for construction of the building with the help of discourses by Dr. Mathoor Krishnamurti.

Meanwhile, Smt. Priyamvada Birla, the wife of Sri Madhav Prasad Birla and a philanthropist visited Mysore and donated generously for construction of the building.

The foundation stone for the building was laid on 1st June 2001 by Sri R. Venkataraman former President of India and the President of Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan at that time. Mysore Kendra building was completed in 2003.

The building was inaugurated by the Governor of Karnataka Sri T. N. Chaturvedi, the other dignitaries being H. H. Sri Shivaratri Deshikendra Swamiji of Suttur, Sri Praveen Chandra Gandhi, Vice President and Sri Dhiru Mehta, the Secretary General, BVB, Mumbai.

     Chairman : Prof. A.V. Narasimha Murthy
  Vice Chairman : Shri K.B. Ganapathy
  Hon. Secretary :  Shri P.S. Ganapathy
  Hon. Treasurer : Dr. A.T. Bhashyam
  Administrator :

Wg.Cdr. S.C. Balasubramanyam

 

Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Mysore Kendra
CA-14, Vijayanagara 1 Stage, 1 Cross,
Tele Fax. No. 0821-2412141
Email:bvbmysore@gmail.com